Thursday, January 14, 2010


"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again. Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

Today Karl Mikal had his "RUSH" visit for the food desensitization therapy. It was a long day of 5 and a half hours in the doctors office, but so well worth it. Ever since Karl Mikal was diagnosed with his allergies we have prayed that he would overcome them and today we started that process.

On our way to the office, we started talking to Karl Mikal about where we were going and what we were going to do. We told him that we were going to the doctor and she would give him some medicine, but there would be no ow-ees. That stuck in his mind. Not only did he repeat that in the car, but when the nurse came and got us, he immediately started saying, "No ow-ees, no ow-ees." She then reassured him that there would be no ow-ees.

We had to go in at 9:00 am. By 9:15 he had his first dose of a milk/mostly water solution and our eyes were glued to him watching for any signs of a reaction. His cheek got red and warm to touch and he was playing with his tongue a little bit, but nothing too significant to keep the doctors from proceeding. Then an hour later we had the second dose and by 12:30 he was given the fourth and final dose for the visit. He did great! What an answered prayer! We had to stay in the office for 2 hours after the final dose for observation and our sweet little guy fell asleep.

So where do we go from here...each day we will give him two premeasured doses of the milk/water solution. We will watch him closely and look for signs of an allergic reaction. After one week, we will go back for a "challenge" visit. At that visit they will increase the amount of milk and we will wait one hour to look for any signs of a reaction. If no reaction, we will go home and repeat that dose in the evening and twice daily for one week. Then we will go back and do the same thing again. This will be done for about 15-20 weeks as we slowly build up his tolerance (hopefully). At anytime during the treatment we could have to stop. If he does react negatively we will step back and do the previous amount of milk and try again.

After the 15-20 weeks, we will continue on our own at home giving him milk daily for 6 months. Then we will go "cold turkey" for 1 month. At the end of the one month, we will go back in for a challenge. He will be given about a cup of milk. If there is no reaction, then we are done!

Leading up to this day was quite exciting, frightening, and overwhelming for us. Most of the time I was at peace about doing it. I knew that God was and is in control and no matter the outcome would remain in control. However, the thought of giving him something that could make him so terribly sick was extremely frightening. That is why after the first dose, neither of us (Karl or I) took our eyes off of him. I am so thankful that God did allow him to make it through today with flying colors. Thank you Lord!!!

I told my sister that we are taking baby steps and with each step forward we will praise God and with any steps back we will continue to praise Him. We ask all of you to keep Karl Mikal in your prayers. It would be so wonderful to overcome this allergy. It will be a year of baby steps and possibly some set backs. So please pray for strength for all of us, healing for Karl Mikal, and patience as we go through the therapy. Also, please pray for all the other kids we know (and don't know) with food allergies. And a loud praise to God for all the children who have successfully gone through this therapy. What a wonderful relief for those parents!

There is bonus song at the end of the Shedaisy Christmas CD that says, "How can I keep from singing?" It is about singing out to God for all that he has done and continues to do. That is how I have felt nearly all day, even when I woke up this morning. As we were in the doctors office and we would get one dose down, the song I sang in my head was the Doxology...(Praise God from whom all blessings flow...) as well as Shout Hallelujah!, and the song about blessings. The one that says, "Every blessing you pour out I turn back to give and take away... (If only John Scott were there, we would have been singing in the office.) Thank you God for loving us all so much and for taking care of my little boy!

Thank you all!

1 comment:

Erin said...

So glad it went well and everyone stayed calm!